Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
Some tools can be shared without much wear and tear, but others wear out and then the person that breaks it gets charged for being the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak. A good solution would be to rent tools, but the tool rental businesses I know of charge fees that would pay for the tool after a couple usages.

I think so much waste is caused by a certain business model where people basically buy into unlimited-use clubs. E.g. if you have car insurance on a car you own, that insurance will often cover rental cars, and then the rental car companies give amazing deals like $30/day. But if you use a car-share, the insurance drives up the cost and there are mileage limits, etc. because the car-share company wants to make as much money as the rental car companies, but somehow they're not tapped into the club that is sharing all the money spent by people to be part of the 'unlimited driving club.' I know this sounds weird and made-up, but I don't know how else to make sense of why sharing businesses charge so much more than businesses where customers pay a lot to not share.
There is no "club".

Have you ever heard of "supply and demand"?