Old 08-26-17, 08:09 AM
dual650c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just checking in after finishing a 350km ride and posting in another thread.
Status update:
Bike is doing well - have had to replace both tires and the chain due to wear. Might need to replace one or more sprockets before the big event. I've been through 4 inner tubes due to the number of flats I've experienced - I always repair my tubes and only replace them once each has 5 patches, there's a hole near the stem or a hole is simply irreparable. Will likely buy two more sets - one set of tires to take with me as backup and another to replace the ones currently on the bike 2 weeks before I ship it out (I AM shipping it ahead, not flying with it as that's the most economical; luckily, I have a backup bike for the period "we" are separated).

Mentally, I'm doing well. I'm definitely not burned out. I have found that I hit mental difficulties between 275 and 325kms on 400km rides but don't have similar issues on 300km rides. I've only done the 1-600km ride so I'm not sure if that will repeat itself between 450 and 525km or at longer distances.

Physically, I'm fairly pleased with my condition and conditioning at this point. I no longer get off the bike sore at all - well, maybe my butt cheeks for a bit but I can walk without looking like a drunken sailor or centenarian. There was a week in late July where my knees were slightly swollen after just a 200km ride - no clue what that was about and it hasn't repeated itself. Same thing happened with my right ankle and the big toe on my right foot once (each). Again, niehter has repeated itself so I am clueless and just keep on plugging away.

Off-bike preparations and arrangements are going well, not perfect but well. My airfare is locked in. I decided to stay in a low-cost hotel rather than with my friend as he's also hosting other international riders and his place will be crowded between them and his family (I don't sleep well around a lot of noise.) Got a complete physical for free at a VA clinic - the doc said I check out as a "man showing (my) years but not ridden hard and put up wet". I'm still not quite sure if that was a compliment or not. Got my travel shots, multiple ones including the (domestic) ones I've been avoiding. Got a deal on a discount for a backup pair of eyeglasses as well as a pair of prescription cycling/sports sunglasses which I wasn't expecting. They make a huge difference over my usual prescription glasses with sunglasses that fit over the regular ones.

I'm semi-"expecting" a pre-ride gift of new shorts from the family - hopefully not too close to when I leave so I can try them out/make sure they don't wind up chafing on longer distances.

I've downloaded the current data on the route and have "ridden" it via Google maps Street view. The route may change between now and the start time, but I'm pretty sure I've identified the areas where I might have difficulties - pacing, route finding, meals/replenishment, etc. Of course, Google map data overseas is not 100% accurate but I'm keeping my fingers crossed and keeping in touch with the organizer/my friend with respect to road conditions and other considerations (especially political).

So that's where things stand today.

Easy 30 miler tomorrow.

dual650c is "Outta here!"