View Single Post
Old 08-26-17, 05:07 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
Even with an extremely low bottom bracket, I wouldn't expect a pedal strike (on a paved road) under any normal conditions. It's possible that some bikes will make pedal strike possible if you pedal through high speed sharp corners, learning to coasting with the inside pedal up through these is SOP, and an easily acquired habit.

The pedals wouldn't tough when starting because the natural lean would be toward the side with the higher pedal.

If you are experiencing more than normal pedal strike (ie. with the bike leaning less than 30° from vertical) I wonder if there was a change from OEM spec. Things that increase the chances of pedal strike include wider pedals, longer cranks, and smaller wheels. In the category of smaller wheels, include materially narrower tires, is 25mm on a bike that was spec'd with 38mm.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.