Old 08-27-17, 07:23 AM
JohnUSA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Hi John,
First let me say, I find you a thoughtful young man which bodes well for the future of the country.

Short answer is no...not a 60. Comparisons with your dad which may seem natural are hampered by a big factor in frame selection...flexibility. As a 16 y.o. young man, you are at the height of your flexibility which allows you to ride more aggressively than your dad or me...I am almost 4x's your age for example. You can use me as a data point....6'1"...longish legs and arms and on a 58.

Truthfully, you could even ride a 56 but...it would be a racy fit and you would need a long stem to satisfy your arm length.

So, what I would do. If you can lock your knees and set the palms of your hands with long arms flat on the ground, definitely go to the bike shop and request testing riding a 56 with long stem and a 58 off the rack.

You could ride a 60 but at 16 you want to take advantage of your youth and flexibility and ride a bike with shorter head tube which allows a lower handlebar to ride more aerodynamically which translates to greater speed. Yes, reach much be satisfied for your size and long arms which can be achieved with a long stem.

Hope that makes sense and good luck.
Thank you for your reply. You've convinced me that a 58cm is probably best for me, and although I'm fairly flexible, I don't think I'm quite flexible enough for a 56cm frame.

I think I'm going to go to my local bike shop tomorrow and test out a 56cm, 58cm, and 60cm bike, keeping in mind that the 58cm is probably best for me. Barring any major issues I have with the 58cm fit, I'll buy that size. The only concern I have is growing another 2 inches or so, but from what you said, the 58 would still fit.

Thank you again,

John