View Single Post
Old 08-27-17, 08:11 PM
dculkowski

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Yes. If you go to Ebay and search for "700c coaster brake", several rear wheels and wheelsets come up. Some of the options are okay: some have Alex, Weinmann, and Origin 8 rims (the usual FG/SS suspects.)

I was obsessed with this idea 6-7 years ago and could not find a suitable wheelset back then, so I went as far as buying a cheapo coaster hub that would be compatible with a road/track frame. (I got it from a guy in Long Beach that sells as Junky Rusty Bikes, and he still seems to be active on Ebay.) The plan was to get some blingy rim and build it up. I never got around to it, and still have the hub.

So, if you want a custom coaster hub wheel laced to a rim of your choosing, that is also a possibility. Please be aware that most reputable wheelbuilders will not re-lace a previously used rim, both for liability reasons and because it is simply harder to work with.
The origin 8 is looking really good right now. My only concern is the hub width. They label it as 110mm while my current rear is 120. I have no idea what the problems/ compatibility could be. I just said that custom will probably be the end goal but if I can find a relatively cheap set right now, (even just a rear) to see if I like the idea that would probably be the smart option. Thanks for the help!