Old 08-30-17, 09:17 AM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by lmike6453
I am just getting into bikepacking as an avid hiker and backpacker and feel that I will like this more. I just bought a $700 Diamondback Trace Sport on sale for $400 2 weeks ago and am thinking that I might regret keeping it:
(please google the link because I cannot paste urls yet)

- 700c 28" tires, 45mm
- 3x8 gearing which is really clunky and annoying
- Cheapo Front suspension fork with lockout
- 32 lbs

I have 2 weeks to return it and the decision making is driving me crazy! It works for paved surfaces ok but one limitation so far is the gear shift cables are exposed on the downtube, preventing mounting a downtube bag to hold water. No real budget, just trying to be smart with money...

Goals:

- To be able to ride on paved surface trails at a good speed / low rolling resistance (80% of riding)
- Handle gravel and dirt roads, and single track rough terrain like roots / logs / rocks / mud (20% of riding)
- Open to the idea of no front suspension fork
- Something to take on 3 day bikepacking adventures
- 30-50 mile day trips
- 29 inch wheels? you tell me, idk if it's worth it
- No pannier setup in favor of bikepacking bags

So should I keep it for paved trails and roads, and buy a second dedicated bike for rougher terrain? Or get one really nice bike that can dabble in both?
I am using a bike that similarly spec'd for similar purposes (95% on-road, 5% light gravel, though, as a result much narrower tires). Having done bikepacking with people that use bikes in the 1000-1500$ range and not struggling with it. I'd say: if you are comfortable on your bike (fit, posture, size), you should be fine. Comfort is what I would be looking for the most for the use you are describing. A lot of other things can be improvised, if necessary (bags...). 3 days at 80km max isn't a 3 month, 9000km cross-continent tour for which you would think a bit differently, I guess.
Can you get a nicer, smoother, lighter, more durable bike? Sure. Will this one do the job? Yes, maybe except for single-tracks, as mentioned by others before.
It's a bit your call on how fancy you want your ride. I've tried to display the utilitarian thinking here.