Old 08-30-17, 06:20 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,880 Times in 2,315 Posts
[QUOTE=HerrKaLeun;19829794]I just ordered a bike from BikesDirect and researched online bikes very thoroughly. One thing I came across often that in case of warranty they send out the new part and it seems occasionally re-imburse the owner for LBS install cost. Wouldn't apply to me since I can do all work myself, but good to know that paying the added markup for LBS is not worth it in all cases.

I understand the LBS you took it to since you didn't buy it there. But I can take my honda to any honda dealer for warranty work and don't get stiffed for labor. Especially since labor is the largest cost most of the time.

But another point that seems a problem with LBS is, they should have told you upfront about the cost. Especially for warranty work you are under the assumption it is covered unless told otherwise. Seems sneaky to me.[/QUOTE]

-The auto business works under a vastly different business model and cash flow pathways. I would be interested in the actual service ticket write up. What was replaced, what added parts (not under warranty but still needed for industry standards servicing, like bar tape or cables) were also needed, what labor was actually charged for and what was comped, if any. Claiming being stiffed suggests labor costs at a higher then usual/posted/or charged when not allowed.

- As I said the discussion of cost should have been had long before the work was done. But I will say that there's a sharing of responsibility for that conversation. I'll also add that many people remember hearing (or not hearing) that which they want to believe.

Most on this forum have not spent one minute behind the shop counter and are unable to have experienced what really happens between shop and brand/manufacturer/distributor. Most have not ran their own business and have had to pay employees regardless of the inflow of sales/cash. And I suspect that many here have not had to have the talk with a customer about how their understanding of a situation is based on complete info.

You can see that I have a bias to the shop's side of this situation, just as many here here have a bias to the OP's side. Even with more detail from the OP we'll never really know the communications and efforts of the shop as they are not here also.

What I do wonder about is why the OP went to another shop for the warranty work, instead of where they bought the bike from. there are many reasons why that are completely valid and reasonable. Like having moved, the selling shop has closed down, that shop no longer handles the brand. But other reasons might bring up questions like "why buy from a shop that you don't want to support you there's an un common need"? And warranty claims are not the norm. Andy.

Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 08-30-17 at 06:25 PM.