Old 08-30-17, 06:26 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I try to find bikes that are NOT my size, to avoid the temptation to keep them (I have plenty already). That is the best solution.

On some, I actually miss the components more than the bike. I rebuilt one bike with all Dura Ace 7400, 8 speed, STI. Loved that group. Group was not original to the bike, so I really should have rebuilt that bike with a different group before selling it. I wasn't in love with the bike, was OK with its departure.

I also sold a touring bike that I had built up for myself: my favorite wheels, my favorite components, and my favorite Cannondale vintage bags. Well, sure enough, I had a buyer come for a different touring bike. He saw mine, and off it went.

One other that I kind of miss was a Schwinn World Voyageur. It was tattered, had maximum patina. But I liked it, A LOT. Went to another forum member.

I also miss the 1973 Schwinn Paramount I sold. I already had a 1974 Paramount, so its not like I needed two, but I really liked it.

So I guess thats three bikes I miss out of about 600 that have left. So its 0.5%.

Right now, I have three or four personal bikes I need to make a decision on. Its time for another one to go.

Opposite to mstateglfr above, I have been donating the bottom half of my flip bikes to the co-op, trying to focus on only selling the higher end stuff. Its neat seeing those bikes come back to the co-op being used, instead of sitting in my queue.

The thing I really like are repeat customers. Buyers that are very happy with the first bike so they come back again, and again. Another thing I really like is that flip proceeds have provided the funds for me to greatly expand my tool selection and also greatly upgrade my keeper fleet. I started this hobby with a 1975 UO8 that didn't fit. As a retired person, its nice having a hobby that doesn't consume family budget. It doesn't really add to the budget either, its break even.

Last edited by wrk101; 08-31-17 at 07:00 AM.