View Single Post
Old 08-31-17, 02:22 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
What is so special on that people's 1x? Am i missing something? anyone can take any type of cassette and a single chainring. The idea proposed there isn't' special and there are dozen other hardware parts to accomplish the same.

I like 1x, and for just casual bikers it would be sufficient (and simpler to use). i also think a 1x11 is great for an MTB, fatbike etc. Especially off-road (fast changes between steep up and down) the faster shifting in the rear helps. And the maximum speed is slow anyway and the range sufficient.

But for a road bike or hybrid I would be cautious. I have a 2x10 hybrid and observed myself and concluded i use it as a 1x10 most of the time. All straight and slight slopes it is large chainring used as 1x10. All steeper climbs and offroad it is small chainring used as 1x10. So yes i need more range than 1x11 could give me. And on long tours it also may be beneficial to have an FD. If your rear cable breaks, you could get home using it as a 2x1.

Obviously reasonable people could disagree and have other preferences. I'm just stating what works for me, i don't try to impose this should work for you.