Old 08-31-17, 05:52 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by triumph.1
hi,

I am about five years into several sets of crap easton carbon clinchers and one set has finally started to delaminate around the rear brake track. Last season I had a small spot delam and warp the same rim and i trued the warp out about 90%. I rode the wheel without an issue up to the current date. I noticed after a long weekend of wisconsin hills the same rim delam has gone to a consistent line along the brake track. I don't have the wheels on at this point and won't ride them again on the road. My question is and not knowing the real answer myself is Can I likely get away with riding the wheel on gravel or flat trail where there is minimal braking? What would be the actual failure with a delaminated brake track? I am ordering up a new set of campy shamals and have enough wheels around to use, but hate the idea of tossing an expensive wheel when I used it for a year already. thanks in advance.
You made no mention that you are using brake pads intended for carbon rims. Regular pads for use with alloy rims will destroy carbon rims.
Just last week, a guy brought in his year old BMC complaining that his front rim was delaminating. Well yeah, lookit here. When did you put these brake pads in?
The rim was toast, he thought it should be warranty. No chance.