Old 09-01-17, 12:22 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Do you offer this to customers who didn't buy their bike from your shop, or just as long as it's a brand your shop represents, it's ok?

What do I know, but my impression is that the LBS pain out there is mostly caused by any lack of clout they have with the manufacturer/distributor duo. I've thought LBS shop owners should form a consortium buying group or regional groups.

Well, I no longer own my shop, 15 years was enough. I offered free warranty labor only to those who bought from me. I felt that I owed little to riders who chose to not be my customers, beyond the expected honest, skilled and friendly practices which guided me. But when someone voted for my shop I am obligated to a far greater degree, hence my customers getting better warranty/service rates.

This incentive, to become a customer, is done all over the marketplace. Customer discount cards, new bike purchase accessory discounts, free after the sale tune ups are the norm. Lastly exceptions are made in every shop every week.

You are somewhat correct in why the retail bike business is the way it is. There are other reasons too. Like the long time association with toys that bikes have had. Like that retail has a fairly low entry cost and that many shop owners chose the bike business for it's life style and not for it's profitability. Like that many population centers have too many shops to allow all to do well without also the size of the pie growing too (and that the shops see each other as opponents and not allies). The consolidation of brands and growth of major suppliers/distributors/brands who can offer their own credit to shops has seen shops become more and more dependent on their suppliers on many levels. The growth of the non brick and mortar "retail" (yet non taxed) sales has also reduced the suppliers' need for the retailer.

There's a lot of cause to go around and all sides of this equation. My bottom line is that we pretty much get what we ask for, even though we don't always fully understand what we are really asking for when we vote/buy. Andy