Old 09-01-17, 01:21 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by alias5000
I am doing a PhD because it gives my professional side a meaning. For that, I am already 'taking a hit' on income, as Engineers can have pretty decent careers with less degrees. That is compensated but not wanting to go after the big life expenses anyways (no car, no mortgage), living a simple life as far as consumerism goes (@bikenh: are you telling me I should let go of all my bicycles?? I am on your page, currently there is not a lot of work my 'employer' has to pay me for doing it). I know that I am not longing for the big career, but I do enjoy working intensely for something that allows me to invest my talents in and to work for making a meaningful contribution to this planet. @mev, I really adore the approach you have taken and I will use your post to remind myself of taking the opportunities when they are there. I have had experiences such as the one you report about being a valuable employee multiple times in my group.
Try basic science for some real money-making opportunities -- not.

My last substantial bike tour (until this year) was right after I finished grad school.

After that, I threw my life into the fire, packed four panniers with what I really needed, put them on my touring bike, put my bike on a plane, and off to Cantab I wende.

Four years later, I returned from Cambridge with my bike, a pregnant wife, a new faculty position, and half a container full of stuff.

I didn't get even one stinking mile of touring done in Europe during my postdoc, or for about 20 years after (with one or two extremely minor exceptions).

There is a lesson in this. I am not sure, however, what it is.