View Single Post
Old 09-01-17, 06:19 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Dave, thank you for posting that; I'm glad you did. I tapped the old cups out of my frame and my head tube measures about 29.9mm inside diameter. It looks like ISO cups have a 30.2mm outside diameter (obviously a press-fit into the head tube). All that sound good so far?

The Tange fork has a 27.0 crown race area (there is no crown race on it). Looks like this is a JIS fork (makes sense, given its 1980s Japanese provenance. I wonder if the Sunlite set includes two crown races, to fit either. Probably not likely at that price.

My bike shop here had an Aheadset TR.1, and it looks like it's an ISO unit. I reckon this would be okay for my frame, but I'd need a JIS race for the fork, right? I live out in the country; no co-ops here unfortunately. That's probably what I need, though -- a huge parts bin of C&V bikes/parts.

Edit: it looks, from Sheldon Brown's crib sheet that the JIS cups are 30.0mm in outside diameter. Given my head tube is 29.9mm, maybe my entire setup is JIS? I guess that might make this easier, given that it's just one standard, huh?

Last edited by hokiefyd; 09-01-17 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Added info from SB.com