rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by elocs
Yes, I had sever sciatica that an MRI showed to be a ruptured disc (L5-S1) that was pressing on the nerve.
All of the spinal manipulation in the world will not solve that. I was operated on by a surgeon from the Mayo Clinic who scraped all of the leaked fluid and material away from the disc and sewing it up. I was in the hospital for 1 day and within 3 days I was walking a mile. I was sent home with a bottle of Percocet and never took a single one.
After I returned to work picking orders and doing repetitive lifting at a food warehouse (this was a work injury)
I never missed a day of work in the remaining 14 years I worked before retiring because of sciatic pain (that's the way my ruptured disc gave me pain--from my butt to the heel of my right leg).
I am 65 and have had no sciatic pain now since I went in for that operation 18 years ago.

(Let me add that I had a friend who visited his chiropractor regularly for any aches and pains, so of course he went when he had back pain that kept getting worse and his chiropractor kept manipulating his spine.
I was at his house when the ambulance came to get him because he was in such agony. Turns out he had a ruptured disc that required surgery and then he had relief.)
While many people claim at least temporary relief, IMO chiropractors are medical quackery. At one time you know they claimed they could fix what ails you by "adjusting the spine". The fact is rubbing the out side of your back or what ever does not change physical problems inside like a ruptured disc.