Old 09-05-17, 01:10 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,611 Times in 1,765 Posts
As promised, an update on this project. Mrs non-fixie has just OK'd it for L'Eroica next month, so I guess it's done for now.

I'd been trying out a few things since I got the bike. Some either received a luke-warm reception from the owner (the fenders and racks) or were discarded by myself because I couldn't get it to work or look like I wanted (the chain guard, the gearing ratios):

A couple of months ago I finally found a solution for the too tall gearing. Or so I thought:

It turned out the the 44/26 combo I'd found was made to be used with a 1/8 chain. Took me a while to find one that would play nicely with the whole ensemble, but in the end the SRAM PC-1 turned out to be just what I needed.

Version 1.0, with guidonnet brake levers, 32mm Paselas on 700C Weinmanns, Allvit derailleurs with DT shifters and a honey-colored Brooks:

A first test was somewhat successful. No comments on down tube shifting, which was a pleasant surprise, but comfort didn't seem to be quite spot-on. So when I found an as-good-as-new Brooks B17S Imperial, I mounted that:

Beta testing was performed at La Savoureuse last week, a 60k ride in Wallonia with some real hills:

The new saddle was a downright hit. Comments that remained were about the brake levers (too awkward for a longer ride), the brakes (kept rubbing a bit) and the absence of a water bottle cage. Putting the original ville levers back on solved the first problem and shortening the straddle cables the second one. The bottle cage was a bit more of a challenge, as I wanted to keep the pump in its original location on the down tube and the room on the seat tube is limited on a small mixte frame. I finally settled for the solution (or kludge if you will) I'd used on my first trip to L'Eroica.

Here it is as it will travel to Tuscany with us in a couple of weeks:

The Allvit is actually a really nice piece of kit. So far I'm impressed by the aplomb with which it does its job, compared to its contemporaries. And it's wonderful to watch it shifting from behind during a ride.

Another personal favorite of mine is the Philippe stem:

More pics in October I hope, after L'Eroica.