View Single Post
Old 09-09-17, 02:16 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by cvskates
There is an agreement between Canada and the Cuba that bikes are not charged either way (at least according to the woman at Air Canada). I was there last year for a triathlon and took my bike down in a Trico Iron Case. Was not charged in either direction, and I flew Air Canada (and they'll usually charge you in both directions for anything they can). And yes, I did declare it as a bicycle.
This is excellent news!

Last year (in spite of being a*A Gold member with baggage allowance of 3 bags of up to 32 kg for free), AC wanted to charge me $50 CAD per sector per bicycle. I then had folder bicycles and used camping stuff around each of them for extra protection/padding.

At check in I was asked what was in the bags. I replied "Camping equipment." Then came the question: "Any stoves and fuel?" My reply was: "No way as I have read the prohibited list and no stoves are in there". Reply: "Fine, take these bags to over-sized baggage".

At oversized baggage after x-raying the bags the attendant said "Nice folding bicycles!".

Off we went without paying. The biking and camping in Nova Scotia was fun...