jaggtass
luv it

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No serial number! Can I get a new one?

Hi all!

So here tis: I bought a classic/vintage bike that looked like it was nearing the end of its lifetime (its at least 15 years old, was rusted through, etc) at a market... yes, I realise now that should've twigged it but I was naive and didn't even think about how it got there.

In the years following, I had the thing rebuilt - wouldn't recognise it now. After about 3 years of regularly meeting/paying my LBS owner, I asked him the age of the bike and he looked for the serial number... which we can't find. Which means maybe the bike was stolen at some point in its history - at any rate there's no number on it now. Is there any way to get it "restamped" or numbered or similar? What should people do when they find themselves with a non-serialed bike? I considered trying to trace where its from, but a bit difficult as its old; its not possible to hand the bike into the Police as I moved several times since I got it, plus any original owners wouldn't recognise it because its essentially just the original frame and decals/trims - and even they have been buffed up; the thing was junked.

Anyways - any input on how to get it renumbered, or legitimised in some way, please let me know! Would the original manufacturers be able to help?