View Single Post
Old 12-31-05, 03:35 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Sorry to dig up this ancient thread and resurrect it zombie like, but I always thought this thread deserved better than to sink to the bottom of bikeforums...

Was supposed to rain today, but when I got up it was about 50 degrees and clearing. Faced with a major decision (clean the house or work) I choose the obvious and elected to ride to Ashland instead. A nice ride, starting in my urban neighbourhood, moving into the 'burbs, then into the countryside, gentle hills all the way. The 72 PX10 hadn't been ridden in a bit, as the 67 and 72 tend to get mothballed for the winter. I almost rode the 67, but the pavement was still a bit wet and I haven't prepared any spare tubulars (I know, lazy), so the 72 came out.

Simply a fantastic ride. Got to Ashland, then hung out at the coffee and tea shop for a Lemonade. Went to the train station, hung out there a bit, there's a train about every fifteen minutes. Visited the bike shop, and they had a built-up Surly Pugsley. I hadn't seen one yet, and tho I'm no fan of most modern bikes, but I like the Surly stuff. Very cool build, with a Nexus eight speed hub, the tires are about 4" wide. Then I went and visited the place Roadmasters go to die on the outskirts of town.

Got about halfway back, and met two friends, tooling along on their hyper modernish carbon fiber super weave twenty million speed bike type things. They were headed towards Ashland, so I turned around and went back to Ashland with 'em, stopping in at the coffee shop for yet another Lemonade. The Peugeot found itself surrounded by Bassos and Kestrels. This gave me plenty of opportunity to ask them why their thousand plus dollar bikes had trouble keeping up with my lowly thirty five dollar thrift store special (in jest, of course). For a thousand bucks, a bike should pedal itself.

We headed back, but it turned out they had driven halfway to Ashland first, so I had to leave them in a Suburban parking lot and pedal back on my lonesome. Of course, once home, I need to restore lost vitamins, so I stopped at the local package store and got some help from Mr. Murphy here.

A perfect ride!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Dscn0554.jpg (94.5 KB, 29 views)
Dscn0555.jpg (96.1 KB, 28 views)
Dscn0556.jpg (85.9 KB, 41 views)
Dscn0557.jpg (73.6 KB, 43 views)

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!