View Single Post
Old 09-11-17, 01:31 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked 1,487 Times in 871 Posts
Great job on the first races guys.

12string, I definitely agree with you about fitness and technical sections not being mutually exclusive. If you ride a high-tight line in a tricky off-camber section you'll cruise through with little difficulty. If you get late and low, you'll have to slow way down or dismount to complete the section, then have to hammer hard to catch back up with the rider in front of you. I also know when I'm really gassed I start taking way more risks in technical sections, trying to cut corners and otherwise keep my speed up, which can sometimes lead to disaster.

Abe, I was in your race yesterday. I ended up riding the Cat 4/5 and it was a great race. I managed to finish around 35th in that group despite starting mid-field. I got out to a strong start then was able to ride fast through the technical stuff, and hang on to wheels for most of the open power sections. The only mistakes I had in the technical stuff were due to other riders taking poor lines and forcing me too high or low, in which case I was able to dismount pretty quickly and run through, then remount. Also, it was so dusty that I was having a hard time breathing until the pack thinned out a little.

Check out the video below of Sven Nys doing the stairs:
https://www.cxmagazine.com/sven-nys-...-skills-clinic