View Single Post
Old 09-13-17, 02:08 PM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coominya
About as much hope as there is of educating cyclists to the dangers of assuming their rights as a road user are worth any more than the paper they are written on.
Yeah, probably a dig at me, but oh well. I'm not aggressive, but I'm assertive. I watch closely for danger at all times and I think I'm a better cyclist than a driver when it comes to planning and reacting, and I will shy off of a "this will get me squished" situation. But if I judge that I won't get squished unless the motorist has decided on 1st degree murder (at which point nothing I do will help me) I'll claim my right of way.

Originally Posted by coominya
He probably learnt that from a cyclist
If I hadn't read first person accounts on this forum, I'd have never believed it was a common thing. Legal rights and legal responsibilities go hand in hand, obey the same laws the cars have to.

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
recently took possession of my 90 yr old Dad's 1994 Camry. now gotta get the car from my 87 yr old Mom, but she's a tiger. isn't gonna be easy
Long story short, I know of a couple of older people where a bogus story was given to "temporarily" take the vehicle to get something checked out and it just hadn't been completed yet, there's more to be done, this thingamajig needs to be fixed, that rare thingamajig is backordered, etc. (The best one I heard is that the thieves that took it might have put a bomb in it so it had to have every part carefully checked over. The truth was that thieves did really take it, the police really did find it and the son was super-quick on his feet when it came time for the police to turn it back over to his mother.) It won't help if the old person is super sharp but physically a danger (poor eyesight or something), but if the brains are somewhat addled it can be pulled off.