Old 09-13-17, 04:43 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I had a parking lot experience with another biker recently. I probably was mostly at fault as I was riding through an area that was lined off for car parking but had no cars instead of the traffic lane of the lot. I wanted to see what a large box mounted on a post next to the parking lot was. Just as I passed by the box and looked up, a biker was coming toward me and intent on passing to my left as is correct for most situations.

However I was already incorrect by not being in the traffic lane of the parking lot. Why would the other biker think it correct try and pass on the side of me that only had three feet of clearance when there was 60 plus feet of clean unobstructed pavement on the other side of me?

And why didn't they at least holler "heads up" or something to alert me of their presence. I never saw them until way too late and just barely got out of the way.

Looking at who was most at fault violating rules and guidelines. That probably was me. But looking at who had more opportunities to avoid the situation, I would have to put that on the other biker.

So I guess the point is we all screw up. In your joust with the car coming out of the other lot..... I'd have probably deferred to the car, unless I'd been able to make eye contact with the driver and felt that they saw me. Even then, I'd probably rather they go first so they don't have to pass me later. So consider whether asserting your right of way is worth the risk. Death isn't always worth being right.

I'd also consider that parking lots might be more dangerous than streets. Traffic in parking lots is less predictable.

And don't think that every car that almost ran you over or violated your rights is someone that needs to be chastised in some fashion.

As for your spouse. Well yes you can use that incorrect knowledge he had to beat up on him or work any future conversation with him to your advantage. That's fair play in any relationship. Makes it fun if you aren't the type that gets enraged over such.