Old 09-13-17, 05:15 PM
elocs
Señor Member

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Except in the downtown area, it is perfectly legal to ride your bike on the sidewalks--yielding to pedestrians just like on a MUP, and in the crosswalk you have the same rights as a pedestrian. I use the sidewalks in my city as much as possible and have ridden 8 miles from one end of the city to the other, only encountering a few people walking and having no trouble. I ride on the side streets which are wide and are where there are bike lanes as well as on the MUPs. This has kept me safe from ever being hit by a motor vehicle in my 58 years of riding a bike.

I am continually amazed by those cyclists who choose to ride in traffic, especially on busy streets where vehicles are often traveling 35 mph or faster because you have a faith that rivals nearly any religion, trusting that every car or truck coming behind you will pass you safely or that their drivers are not distracted by many things. You must win every one of the close encounters that come upon you because the first one you lose could be your last.
You have a courage and bravery and trust that I lack since I want to remain safe and have no desire to have on my tombstone: "He had every legal right to ride where he was hit".

"So consider whether asserting your right of way is worth the risk. Death isn't always worth being right." Absolutely and wisely true.