View Single Post
Old 09-13-17, 05:59 PM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
What amazes me is that either you people have way more drivers that get enraged around bikers or y'all are just here to bemoan any discrepancy of a car driver that suits your mission.
I think why I'm getting honked at a lot and screamed at a lot is because of home location and work location there is only one road I can take to get from point A to point B. That road is a 4 lane divided highway, the speed limit is 40mph but is routinely violated by 10mph or more (I've driven that road at 50mph and been passed by many, many cars going faster) and the road is a government encouraged bypass of a major US highway. So lots of cars going by, and I suspect that per mile I encounter more cars on my commute than many other commuters who can choose from a variety of roads. On top of that, my usual commuting hours puts me in traffic around rush hour, and people are mean during rush hour.

I do think that familiarity may also be a factor as the honking and yelling is tapering down, despite me not getting faster. Almost a "omg, she's not going away, fine, whatever, at least passing her is easy". And since I do come here to vent or to get advice, I'm not talking about all the nice people that are a great counter-balance. Like one day the oncoming left turn folks got a green light and the lead guy just sat there until he was sure I wasn't going to blow through the red light. Another guy, late at night, he didn't have a stop sign but stopped until he was sure I wasn't going to blow through the stop sign. A few people that clearly wanted to turn right but chose to pace me at a safe distance instead of speeding past me and then cutting back in for the right turn. All those wonderful people that have followed at a safe distance when I had no possible way of getting the heck out of the way. The woman who yelled "You go girl!" when she saw me in traffic. All those wonderful people who pass no closer than 3 feet. The woman who hung back and waited for clear signaling from me before she sped up to merge in front of me. There's a lot of really nice drivers I don't talk about, and there are times of the day that people are far, far nicer than rush hour.