Old 09-14-17, 08:53 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You're going to have to translate that last part, because it makes no sense.

Same here ...
Yea - no idea, I was remote...
See post above this one from me.

I think I was trying to say as the difference between those two tires is 10W (measured Crr) then the one tire has 10W more resistance to deformation at that gas/air PSI and speed. It is the rate that the tire resits deformation that we couldn't see in a still example. Materials have rates they deform. A "stiff" tire resists deformation more than a supple one. At standstill both would get to their rest position. At speed I have no reason to believe both would deform at the same rate because the wheel is rolling. If they don't fully deform the same as when still.
A wheel with 100lbs @ 100PSI ~ 1SI area contact patch. That is .56inch width if it were a circle, and we know it is a bit longer/elliptical so I'll use .6in in contact with the road in a static situation. At 30mph the tire is going (if math is right (30*5280*12in/hr) / (3600sec/hr)) 528 in/sec. So start of that patch to end occurs in .6in / 528in/sec ~ .0011 sec ~ 1ms.

For a tire to fully drop the same amount in 1ms as it would in a static situation is something I don't assume, rather I assume it won't and because materials resit deformations at different rates the contact patch would be different too.

This was in the news lately at kid's school. https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/y...stops-bullets/ That is a "goo" that at slow speeds offers little resistance. At high speeds it stops a bullet.