Old 09-14-17, 01:57 PM
NoPhart

Bikes: As my watts decline, I’m amping up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Installed a gear sensor shutoff on the shifter cable and took the B-Side for a 45 mile ride today. I’ve been riding my new Electra Lux 5i 29+ eCruiser for the last 250+ miles and it was nice to be back on a responsive “whiptastic” short chain stay 27.5+ eMTB again for a change of pace. This thing eats up sidewalk driveways, tight turns around landscaping, telephone poles, trees, etc…, curb drops at freeway on and off ramps, and dodging the homeless and no leash dogs through the Anaheim homeless encampments. The cities and county officials really need to get that situation resolved ASAP! I know they are trying...

The time off my Gates Carbon Drive ride sure makes me appreciate the whisper quiet belt drive and wide 33% gear spacing on the Sturmey-Archer 3-speed cassette IGH. It’s hard to tell if the shift sensor is doing anything. I still pause and wait for the power assist to kick off before shifting. I did seem to feel a slightly longer lag after shifting before the power assist kicked back in. My guess is that’s the shifter sensor holding of the power for enough time to insure a clean shift.

Wonderful weather and ride today. Did 45 miles total. Average speed was 15.2mph. Top speed was 28.8mph (downhill after sparing with a couple strong roadies up hill on coast HWY). Started with a full 54.3 volts in the tank. Ended with 49.1 volts left. Used 5.2 volts during the 45 miles or an average of 0.1156 volts per mile. Battery shutoff is set to 42 volts, so 7.1 volts left in the tank. All else being equal, there are still about 61 miles left in the tank. Sweat!

Today’s ride really makes me want to put my 29+ Sturmey-Archer 5-speed IGH wheel set that’s currently on the Electra eCruiser on a Soma Juice frame and figure out some way of getting a Gates Carbon Drive to line up with the RX-RK5 rear hub. Once you go belt drive it’s hard to go back.

I think a pair of his (Juice 29+ 5i) and hers (B-Side 27.5+ 3i) Soma belt drive eMTB's are in order!

Last edited by NoPhart; 09-14-17 at 02:01 PM.