View Single Post
Old 09-18-17, 03:16 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Independent Corroboration...

Listening to OPB Radio right now. On the air is a British cyclist who has just cycled around the world in 79 days. To do this he had to ride 240mi. every day for 2.5 months. It was a sanctioned event and he had a support team but the grunt was all his. When asked what the most challenging and dangerous parts of the event was he did not dither with an answer. Pickup truck drivers in the American Midwest. He was aggressively buzzed there many times and was deliberately run off the road several times by hostile p/u truck drivers intent on vehicular manslaughter. I don't see why he would lie about this. I imagine the circumstances must have been also witnessed by his support crews on occasions. WTF. Whenever anyone says something sideways about those who drive trucks on this forum there are usually angry rebuttals and comments to 'stop profiling p/u truck drivers'. Sorry. Redneck is as redneck does, and there really appears to be a problem here. I now have to wonder about some recent competitive cyclists that have been killed here during road events. They have always gone on the books as accidents, whether due to possible carelessness or not. The fact that a driver might deliberately use their vehicle to maim or kill a cyclist seems like an impossibility to most in the legal profession. Might be time to rethink this and totally re-calibrate the perception and plausibility metrics as regards driver and cyclist interaction.