Old 09-19-17, 09:31 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Huh, I might have to try that. I wasn't happy with the front-hub kit on a used Brompton I had - way too heavy to lug around - so I sold it. I have a new Brommie now..adding a light kit that can be removed looks pretty sweet. Thanks for the heads up; I know you've discussed the ShareRoller before, but I didn't have my Brompton then.
Well, it's all trade-offs of course. Being a friction drive, there is a whine at high speed so it's not super stealthy. Depending on how well Jeff's new SRV4 works in rain, there's also that potential issue (although he feels he has resolved it). The benefits are the weight, portability for multiple bikes, and easy removal to prevent theft. And supposedly the U.S. version will go 28mph with pedaling, EU slower. Finally, it won't be cheap when it's finally available on market (non-crowdfunding), I'm guessing around $1000. But - there's nothing else that is super light and super easy to pop on and off in it's entirety. Carry it in your Brommie bag and it's only an extra 5 pounds, hardly noticeable. Pop it on when you unfold and just go.
I'm getting one and so is Jur - from the crowd funding - so you'll get some thorough reviews once we receive them (whenever that is). His review will probably be more mechanically inclined and mine will be for the more clueless, lol.