View Single Post
Old 09-26-17, 05:37 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Liked 579 Times in 343 Posts
Back tire was low, not flat, when I got to my bike yesterday afternoon. It had been locked up (in my bike locker) since Friday morning, so I figured I had a slow leak; pumped it up and rode away. Two miles later it was flat. Pumped up and rode away. Didn't get a hundred yards before it was flat. So I got out my tool kit and found, oops, no tool kit. Someone owns too many bikes and at some point moved the tool kit to another bike.

I had to call my wife to come get me. That was a first; fifteen years of bike commuting, she has never come picked me up before.

Anyway, I took out the tube. It had six patches on it, three of them all in a group. One patch was actually partly over another, and the next one was just a few milimeters away. I couldn't find any external cause for the puncture, so I suppose we should regard this as a failed patch, but my last flat tire on this bike was in December. The patch took a good long time to fail, but its failure was predictable. Lesson learned? Carry a tool kit.

There was no way to patch it again, so I put in a new tube. And I stuck some tools in the handlebar bag.

Last edited by rhm; 09-26-17 at 05:42 AM.