View Single Post
Old 09-26-17, 02:19 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11033 Post(s)
Liked 7,579 Times in 4,227 Posts
Originally Posted by Tape2012
So you really expect that your adjuster, who likely knows nothing about bikes, is going to do a lot of market research to determine the value of your bike? Not going to happen. A statement from your local bike shop estimating value won't carry much weight without data to back it up. Even if the shop had the data they are not going to give it to you.

As I said already, pay for replacement coverage, keep all your receipts, take pics, and fill out the police report thoroughly. Otherwise, it's probably cheaper to write off the bike.
Last time I had to work with an adjuster, it was on a car that was totaled. He was trying to pay out way less than what the car was worth in replacement value.
It was an older year but with incredibly low miles and the comps he pulled and shared were nothing at all like the car that was totaled. As a result, I pushed back with actual real information and examples of comparable vehicles(not same model, but same style vehicle with same general amenities and similar miles. I received thousands more as a result of not arguing, but showing why the comparables were wrong.

BBB doesnt even list comparables. It is useless as it doesnt take into account used pricing for bikes on the extreme ends(which are often seen as cheap because nobody wants them, but are often expensive because inventory is so scarce for those who want them). It doesnt take into account location. It doesnt take into account time of year.
All those things factor greatly in a bike's cost.
Lets not even begin to address the issue of if BBB is to be followed, what happens when a bike isnt listed at all?

I know how much it cost to build up each of my bikes. None are in the BBB database, i am positive. Whats funny is that all would cost more to replace than what BBB values many bikes that are newer and have higher level componentry.