View Single Post
Old 09-26-17, 07:31 PM
TDinBristol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
Those frames have a really good reputation and are ridden by some people are very high levels.

The combo of the 45mm fork and the 74.5deg HTA raises my eyebrows, too. But I haven't taken one for a spin.
I have one of these frames, the Chinese/eBay model, not 7vrn. But this frame is marketed all over the place, and the brands that seem to be from the same mold include 7VRN (UK), Ferocity (South Africa), and Comanche (ridden by the Ukraine national team in World Cup events). Pictures below.
My experience with the Chinese/eBay brand has been fine with caveats:
- This is not a light frame. Carbon, yes, but my guess is it's built with cheaper carbon laid on much heavier - the frame set comes in at 1800 grams for the Large. That's heavier than good/basic aluminum 6061 and 7005 frames such as an Aventon Mataro or a Bianchi Super Pista. These frames look something like BT's (at least a few people at the track have asked me if it was), but are not anywhere near the same class. But it seems solid. I'm 6'2" and 205, and while I'm not a superstrong rider (I ride the old-man division), it rides nicely given my bulk. I don't see why I wouldn't use it for some years to come.
- The 74.5 HT/45 rake is an issue. I found that this combo - a 47 trail, as you say - works just fine on good, smooth tracks such as T-Town and Rock Hill, where the transitions are dialed in. At tracks like Dick Lane (and its "famous dip" between turn 3 and 4 that throws you off the line), or at bumpy old Kissena, you really get to see the difference. But I don't think it's twitchy, but rather the opposite, sluggish - if you go off your line, it takes forever to correct back.
- Given that geometry issue, and my concerns about carbon steer tubes bought on eBay, I went ahead and bought a Dolan/Alpina track fork with aluminum steer tube, which has a 30mm rake. IMHO, it nicely corrects all the steering problems on all tracks because the trail then comes in at the standard track spec of 60-ish. I also like that with the alu steer tube, I can change stems without worry - and the Alpina fork (about $150, as I recall) is actually lighter than the all-carbon 45mm fork.
- The seat post can slip. I have found that a combo of lots of paste and careful torque helps. But the situation got better when I finally replaced the bolt that came with the frame with one of a higher-quality steel. It actually helped a lot. I applied blue Loc-tite on that bolt as well, and torque to the very limit.
- I love the chain tensioners. I don't know why all track frames don't come with these now.
- Also, beware the specs as stated. The seat post is super wide, so the top-tube spec of 59.5 C-C in their chart is probably more like 58.5 if it were a 27.2 post. I have a steel frame with a 58.5 TT, and to me, the two frames match up. The next size down, listed as 56, is probably a 55 or so.
So, in the end, a nice bike, bike I doubt a lot better than the many aluminum frames in the same price range. In the end, you get what you pay for, and in that respect, I got a fine bike for such a low price.
Hope that helps! Pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
my bike.jpg (24.2 KB, 218 views)
Comanche track.jpg (25.7 KB, 220 views)
ferocity.jpg (24.6 KB, 217 views)
7vrn black and white.jpg (24.6 KB, 216 views)

Last edited by TDinBristol; 09-30-17 at 11:18 AM.