Old 09-27-17, 08:16 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
reminded me of this intersection near me. when going straight I continue until the light turns red. cars are continually passing me. it wouldn't make sense to stop anywhere else but the stop line at the head of the line & place 1 foot on the curb. (red arrow) when the light turns green, I wait for the lead car to start, then I start. makes no sense to start first cuz they'll be passing me immediately anyway. sometimes, I'll look back & there are only 3 cars, I'll wait until they all pass me before I start.

if I were going left, I would have to get in that left only lane. (blue arrow) if I was first, I would take that lane at the front, then while crossing the intersection move right to let following cars pass. if there were cars in front of my I would not filter up, I don't think, but not sure cuz I never got left here

Yeah I'm generally in agreement with that. On the right, if I were in the front, like you I would probably be on the right, allowing the lead car to pull up beside me. When the light changed, I would proceed through keeping toward the right and most of the cars would pass as we proceeded through the intersection. If a car was already there, I would pull up directly behind it. As we proceeded forward I would likely move to the right allowing any cars behind me to pass.
But there is a qualifier there in that any right turns would be made before the stop light. I would maybe handle if differently if they were turning right up at the head of the line.
Left turn I would handle as you stated.

And all that is particular to this intersection. Each intersection is different so I approach things according to the intersection, traffic, etc. I try to handle any intersection in a way for motorists to accurately understand my intentions and at the same time, being respectful of them and moving right asap.