Old 09-29-17, 07:47 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
I have a 2004 Tundra, bought new in 2004, with only 52000 miles on it. It satisfies my "truck requirement".

Last November I had to replace the Prius I was driving with something new. I'd had my fill with the used cars I'd been buying over the previous six years. They were decent enough cars, a Subaru Forester, and then the Prius, but they had a bunch of miles on them when I bought them and I'd tack a bunch more on in short order. Things got expensive quickly! So, it was new car, with a warranty, time. I strongly considered electric (I'm still intrigued), and the top of my list for an affordable EV with decent range was the Chevy Bolt. In researching it I found a few issues that pertained to me, not the car per se. The first was room, it's not that big, only a little bigger than a Honda Fit. The second was the availability of charging places. I'd have to have an expensive charging station installed in my home, and then there was work. There is no place to plug it in there. I discovered, too, that recharging in most places I go would be problematic. That brings in the third issue, Real Life Range. 180 to 200 miles? VSC is 336 miles from my house. Reno is close to 400 miles. Clear Lake is 246 miles. I'd have to stop and wait 30 minutes to an hour at a "fast charge station", IF I'd paid for the fast charge version of the car to be able to do that , otherwise the wait would be even longer with a 11OV charge going on.

That sort of killed my EV idea. For short drives, even for commuting to work, it would have been great. But, if you drive the distances that I do, as often as I do, EV's aren't there yet.

I bought a C-Max Hybrid. I kinda wish I'd bought a Focus ST. It would have been a lot more fun!