Old 09-29-17, 11:29 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Make sure components are easily replaced rather than proprietary.
And there's some emotional satisfaction/attachment to bring an older one back to life.
That was my biggest concern, not knowing much about these things. When you say easily replaced, do you mean with components that one would find on a standard bicycle, or is there a separate group of common parts for foldersI should learn about?

I've done a few C&V rehabs, I also find joy in bringing something back to life! In digging through some of the old threads, I found this, if I could find an old Peugeot folder I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat (even knowing of all the oddball French stuff!): 1970 Puegeot Folding Bike

Originally Posted by Pinigis
There are a lot bikes out there with low-quality hinges and latches. If they look like stamped steel, pass. If there is play in the hinges, you may have a replacement, or difficult repair, in your future.

If something catches your eye, post a photo on this thread and the opinions will flow.
Will make a note of inspecting the hinges. I don't have my eye on anything in particular right now, but it seems from reading a bit that Dahons are regarded as decent quality to price options, and they generally pop up frequently on my local CL. Probably looking at a single/3-speed to keep it simple, the areas it would get used are fairly flat.