View Single Post
Old 09-30-17, 02:14 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
E on Alessandro all the way to Gilman Springs Rd.
R on Gilman Spring
L on Jack Rabbit Trail
R on 60
Exit 60 at first exit, 6th street. You will be on the 60 for only 2.5 miles or so.

Pavement on last section of Alessandro E of Theodore St is a bit rough.

Jack Rabbit Trail is actually closed to traffic and no longer maintained. Pavement is breaking up to missing in some areas, but it is totally doable. Up until this year it was part of the Breathless Agony century and I had no trouble riding it on 25mm tires. Just have to pick your line. The 60 shoulder from JRT to 6th street is fine, plenty wide, but like any other freeway shoulder there can be debris and I think there is one really dangerous drainage grate near the end. Easy enough to avoid, just be watching for it.

You could also go up Redlands Blvd from Alessandro, cross the 60 and turn R on San Timoteo into Beaumont. No riding on the 60. San Timoteo is a bit narrow, but not a problem to ride, not that much traffic.

this is the way i would choose. relatively straightforward and paved the entire way. redlands is a decent
hill but never steep and san timoteo is false flattish/slightly uphill till beaumont.