View Single Post
Old 10-03-17, 08:13 AM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Cannondale MT800, Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jonc123
I worried about the width issue also with the planet bike fenders on my 26". My Schwalbe tires are 1.6". They look fine and the extra coverage does not hurt a thing. I agonized about different types of fenders, the PBs are already put together and pretty easy to install. As others have said, if you decide to run a wider tire...

I went ahead and cut all my struts down, since I was pretty sure that I wouldn't be going with a bigger tire. PB does sell spare parts for the fender, they got ya covered if you cut them and later decide to upsize tires.
Mine are 1.6" as well, and I couldn't get the fenders low enough to be "tight" to the tire anyway because the tabs that bolt them on didn't have a long enough slot to get them that low. The 50mm fenders are only recommended for a 1.5" tire. I have a ton of clearance between tire and fender because I went with the 60mm fenders. Maybe I could have made the 50s work, but I thought the same thing about possibly using a bigger tire later.