Old 10-03-17, 02:14 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by scheibo
starting to come around to the trainer. ive always hated indoor exercise (which is weird, because im a very indoor person, i just seem to dislike exercising in place), be it a treadmill or the trainer, but i definitely respect people who are able to crush trainer workouts and it really is much more targetted and 'better' training IMO. i think part of the reason i hate it less now is that it takes a couple sessions to get acquainted to the different sensations and mindset - clearly if i only do it once in a blue moon i'm not going to adapt to it the same way i have when ive been riding it more consistently. i also think im learning better what kind of work i'm able to do on it - much shorter intervals, lots of things to break up the monotony, distractions etc. my power has been pretty much consistently improving, and while its still very far away from what i could do outdoors its nice to see the progress.

i've commuted to work on my fixie (wearing a splint) the last two days and things feel pretty decent, the biggest problem is that i think i have 'the fear'. last time i had a bad crash on a descent 3 years ago it took a long time to gain my confidence back on a bike, and i think the same thing is going to happen this time around as well. i dont know how much of it has to do that im currently riding with a splint on a bad wrist and maybe once im more healed i'll be less terrified, but every crack/tar snake/railroad track/gravel patch/slightly damp looking pavement on my commute scares me. a far cry from bombing descents in the rain in the dolomites a month ago, but i'm sure i'll get back there eventually.
Have you considered not riding outside at all until you're more healed up?

my race videos