Old 10-04-17, 09:37 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
The Shimano hydraulic brifters are HEAVY -- even the di2 ones. It's immediately apparent when you take them out of the box; they feel like bricks.

Also, frames and forks are a bit beefier to accommodate the discs.

I'm not at all a fan on the road for racing (unnecessary IMO); for cross and off-road applications, i find discs to be a bit better. Also, instead of grinding dirt/mud/grit into your expensive carbon rim, you wear down the rotor. You don't lose braking ability *during* a CX race. Not as light, but I think this is one area that can enable a rider to go faster.

I don't know if I ever got my cross bikes under 17.00 (with pedals), even though the are 1x. I use pretty solid bars & stem (PRO Vibe), and I know the paint job on my frames is +100, 150g; they are Di2 bikes, which I also think makes quite a bit of sense for off-road applications/mud. I'd even suggest going with an XTR RD (clutch), though that's another weight penalty + a little friction.

Realize that if your boy races in the mud, the N/W profile of that single ring will not keep the chain on the bike. A clutch RD is good as a minimum -- or inner catcher + outer guide. Or at least recognize it's a risk.

Narrow-wide rings aren't the only thing one needs in the mud to keep the chain on, unfortunately.
Do you know if they wet the course at nationals/Reno? Tire choices, again, but looks like he'll have both. We now have 6 wheel sets in the works. The clutched RD sounds important. Not Di2, now. Kinda bummed.

I'm in for less than what I could sell it all for in march. So I want to see how it goes. Unlike road racing, 50th or 100th is no big deal in Reno. It feels like Strava...just for fun and nothing matters except trips and fun. I'm sure that is a lie at some level, but I'm going with it. Based on demonstrated ability new toys will be bought, or not MASI had a picture of him in the lobby, so made this easy. And he truly loves them.