Old 10-04-17, 11:12 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
PS I just looked up my spreadsheet for my SW Crux build: 17.2#.

I happen to be building a Tarmac now, and the frame itself (both 56cm) is 400g heavier. The fork is nearly 200g heavier. The brake calipers don't weigh that much more than road calipers (+50g per side), while the brifters are nearly 300g heavier.

Compared to a set of 404 tubulars with decent road tires, 303 disc tubulars with nice FMBs are +600g.

All told, that's about +1.6kg, or 3.5# heavier -- less a bit for a FD and small chainring (~150g).

My drivetrain, seat posts, saddle, stem and bars are pretty much the same for road and cross.

A CruX pro is a little heavier... 100, 150g. Part of the difference between the Tarmac and CruX weight difference is that my Tarmac is matte black and the CruX has a super-cool-but-heavy glossy paint job that involves laying down primer and adding clear-coat. Paint jobs on some bikes can add 200g.
For road - Specialized just uses more material than Haro/Masi. We have the 2015 Venge, had 2014 Tarmac Pro and S-Works 2016. All my builds I had to add weight for UCI - even the pro. But for the MASI road, never UCI raced but under 12 lbs. MASI does not have the engineers that Specialized do. As all these bikes are made within a few miles of each other, I believe the engineering gets around. I'd gladly take a CruX and Di2 and might next year, but starting with this is just fine. Much is delivery time. Bikes are needed in Oct - not Dec. Bike companies need to get their delivery in line with the season. cx is kinda new, but you can't have a bike avail mid season and expect to get the same sales.

FWIW - I'm saying this more as a professional in the mfg/tech marketing space. There is work to be done.