View Single Post
Old 10-09-17, 10:07 AM
Bigbadjohn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
@Bigbadjohn You've got the wrong kind of blade in that sawzall.
That long blade with the big teeth is a 'pruning' blade, made for cutting quickly through green wood, like tree branches.
Metal cutting blades have much smaller teeth, like the one shown below; will make the job much cleaner.

Also, why ditch the RD? You've got a half-step triple on the front, and a wide-range 6-speed on the rear, plus a looong wheelbase. That long cage Suntour will come in handy.
Thanks for the advice but the idea was to use that blade will cut aluminum but not steel, but it's not cutting the aluminum, I may have to go this route with great care
or maybe a more aggressive blade than what I am using.

You are right, I will keep RD if it's functional and it seems to be plus anything else to keep it as it was when new.
I was looking Suntour RD are not cheap and getting more collectible.

On closer inspection this morning althought bike is not good cosmetically it's hardly been riden chain rings are like new as are all other wearable parts so what is best a beutiful bike that is worn out or the other

I was thinking the 3 rings was a later add-on maybe it's original, you don't often see these on racing bikes
I notice the top 2 are very close and a super low for hills.

BB looks original, it's very smooth and no sideway wiggle
I think in those days they did not use sealed so will have to be taken out to be cleaned, I am guessing it's about 82 vintage

I wish I had never found that drill bit that just happens to be a perfect size it's getting more tempting and it would use the tube as a guide and nicely ream it out with no danger of damaging the frame in theory. 1-inch drill is 25.4 and seat tube must be 27.2
it would still leave 1.5 inches because that's as far down drill will go, but still enough room for another seat post, and last little bit might come out easy.

Last edited by Bigbadjohn; 10-09-17 at 05:12 PM.