View Single Post
Old 10-09-17, 11:42 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18399 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 3,361 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Main problem with the snugger fit on the hybrid is the bare brake cable running along the top tube. In real world riding conditions it would never interfere. But occasionally I worry about straddling the bike and the bare wire cable rubbing the paint. So next time I replace cables I'll use full length housings. The road bike already has a full length cable housing for the brake cable running along the top tube.
I see some signs of cables rubbing the bare metal of my Litespeed MTB conversion with bare cables. The frame definitely isn't too tall on that one, but still gets cable rub.

The old Colnago had full length cable housing with vintage Campy cable guides. Originally it was configured with the guides to the left side, but I've twisted them with the guides now down the center.

When shifted to the side, the cable housing gave moderate protection from pants rub on the left side. When twisted to the top, the cable housing seems to lightly abrade the paint down the top of the top tube.

If I had cable stops installed, I might consider adding a loose fitting cable liner sheath the length of the cable between stops. It might give some minimal protection for the frame.

Anyway, as mentioned above, I have a habit of sitting on the tube, so I don't think standover height has much impact on how the cables or cable housing rubs the paint.