View Single Post
Old 10-11-17, 05:08 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Because until very recently, they were the best option available that were mass producible at a price point that the masses could afford if they wished to have any driving range whatsoever?

Even in the short term, the capacity to produce enough batteries, and the infrastructure to support charging them all, is still not a reality to make every vehicle an EV. And, even with emissions conditions taken out of the loop, I seriously doubt states will give up on vehicle inspections.
It will require approx 30-40% increase in US generating capacity (watts) to support a full ev-fleet. That doesn't count the added cost of providing sufficient capacity to the charging points (assuming that realistic full ev will require a network of fast-chargers). Even if you make unrealistic assumption of all slow charging at night, the base load increase in watt-hours is at least 25%. Meanwhile the US has been busy in shutting down base load generation (coal-fired).

Meanwhile my state has no smog requirement and the regular inspection is a quick $20 for the service station locations that do them. This year they added a requirement for annual inspections on mopeds, due to complaints of "loud exhausts". My experience is the pollution from those mopeds is much worse than any rolling coal.

scott s.