Old 10-11-17, 09:55 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by pierrej
I'll grab that app whenever I pick something up. Do you happen to know if a PC5 would function in a similar manner to the 7?

Quick look around has resulted in a Cannondale road pm and pc5 for only a little more than a bare pc7. Having a compatible Cannondale roady does make it a tempting proposition if I can just swap the head unit between bikes when needed.

Cheers for the info regardless
PC5 is wired. So you have wired speed sensor and cadence comes from a wire going to the power meter crankset. The only upside to PC5 setup is that it doesn't suffer the 3s wakeup period that wireless units need to start recording. So, if you are doing standing start work, you'll miss that using a wireless head unit. But, since this is a road unit, then that doesn't matter.

PC7 is ANT+ wireless and works like any other ANT+ cycling computer. You get: speed, cadence, HR, altitude, distance, and/or power all in a file that you can analyze in SRM software or most popular tools (like Strava, Golden Cheetah).

Unless you know what you are getting into with the PC5, I would advise you to pass on it. It's basically old gear using old tech. If it were free, cool. But, don't spend good money on someone else's old tech. That guy is simply gonna take your money and buy a PC7 or PC8