Old 10-12-17, 05:50 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Since we're talking units...

...I cannot grasp the ounce. Especially in cooking, where the unit is used for both mass and volume. In the kitchen with my wife, and she barks, "quick, bring me 4 ounces of mushrooms" I know that these must be a checked with the scale. Okay.

But if she says, "bring me 8 ounces of dry rice"...uh, oh. "Um, Honey, would you like 3/4 of a cup of rice? Or should I weigh out what you need?" She looks at me like I'm brain dead.

Why is this?

Oh, and I have special clothing that I use for my bike commuting. Not all was designed for bicyclists, but each piece is chosen to do its specific job. I do not wear my bicycling clothing when I work. Neither do I wear my commuting clothes when I'm not on the bike, but only when I ride. This keeps things simpler. And, I have the benefit of wearing exactly what works for the planned ride and its weather conditions. But it's taken me decades to accumulate each piece, things like arm warmers, wool socks, windproof mittens, nylon/spandex headbands, a proper fitting rain jacket, a correct base layer - these all have taken years of trial and error to get just right.

Could street clothes do as good of a job for me? I'd be really astonished if that were the case...but, that's just me.