Old 10-13-17, 11:22 AM
warx

Bikes: Venge, Koichi San II, Crux Sngl Spd, EVO, Stumpy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spartanKid
I regards to people's talk of excessive DOMS and nutrition: if you're lifting heavy weights multiple times per week, you should probably be getting close to 1 g of protein per lb of bodyweight per day, spread out in multiple, (4-6), meals per day. This might help address some of the extended DOMS people experience. For many people here, that's going to be in the neighborhood 200g of protein *per day*, or about 1.5 lbs of chicken breast per day. Just for one day, try tracking a typical day's worth of meals and see how much protein you're actually eating. I bet it's less than you think.
Also, once trained up for the different muscle firing patterns, everyone can do WAY more weight on one-legged/bulgarian squats than simply 50% of their 2 leg weight. The bilateral strength deficit is real. I'm just an anecdote, but I can Bulgarian squat 2x100lbs dumbbells and a 20 lbs weight vest for sets of 8. I cannot barbell back squat 440 lbs at all.
Yeah, I do need to keep track - I'll look for an App to help. I know I take 45g of "Naked Whey" a day but don't want to rely on supplements any more than this.

The question is if split squats are as beneficial as back squats. The formula I'd used for estimating the two legged weight was "add 1/4 of bodyweight to dumbbell total then double" - but, as you say, this in no way the case (even my numbers show this). Not so important now I decided to get splurge for a rack anyways.

I was reading about Jason Kenny's routine:

10 x 145Kg back squat
Leg press
5 x 160Kg hexbar deadlift (or start raised for 200Kg)

I think I'll stick to sets of 10-12 for back squat. Although I feel that lower reps is always better for strength, I think at my age staying on the higher rep side is better/safer. Dead lift can be lower reps.