View Single Post
Old 10-14-17, 09:12 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
The Colosseum in Rome hosted battles between gladiators and lions. LCFers are sort of like gladiators and all the factors working against us in the automotive culture like lions, so "when in Rome, do as the Romans," could refer to doing as the gladiators or as the spectators. Rome is diverse.
Originally Posted by tandempower
I was just using the concept of a gladiator as one who struggles against adversity. We do actually subject ourselves to potential physical violence in traffic and exert physical effort for the sake of achieving goals, but admittedly not in the same way a gladiator did.

It was just a fun way to think about the struggle to LCF in driving-dominant areas. No need to get defensive and nit-picky.
As an optimist, I don't see myself as struggling against cars or other road users.

I'm trying to get to a destination, or haul my groceries or latest acquisitions home.
Car drivers are trying to get to a destination, or haul something somewhere.

Ok, so I'm sensitive to both my own mistakes, as well as potential mistakes by drivers. But, there is nobody attacking me, other than the occasional drunk yelling incomprehensible slurred words out the window. And I don't worry about them as long as they don't hit me.

Yes, it can be a struggle to carry stuff home, but it is also good exercise.

Do you consider those people battling gym machines as gladiators too?