View Single Post
Old 10-16-17, 04:01 PM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Chain worn out in 300 miles though. Is that possible. Seems incredibly short amount of cycling. I just wondered if that was mis-diagnosed and the issue was a failure in the freewheel which was slipping in the smallest cog before breaking apart completely. I wondered if it was a design that allowed for replacement of the smallest cog like some cassettes or perhaps had a different harder material just for that single cog just because of the increased wear rate especially as it only has 13 teeth. Isn't it common for freewheels to start at 14 teeth for the smallest cog and often an easy way to recognise a freewheel, at least a Shimano model as cassettes commonly start at 11 or 12 but Shimano freewheels start at 14. So when you see cassette and 14 teeth listed I often check to see visually what is fitted and its pretty much always a freewheel despite being described as a cassette.

If the chain really has stretched plus the freewheel has broken apart it is an appalling level of component quality on the Schwinn Loop. You wonder what else will fail shortly. Generally reviews seem good though with one of the first reviews on Amazon stating he prefers it to his Dahon.