Old 01-03-06, 06:34 AM
mathmo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by galen_52657
Originally Posted by DinoShepherd
Competitive triathletes are easily clicking well sub-six minute miles for the 10K and will smoke most any internet warriors on the bike.
I beg to differ....

I do a training ride now and then from the local tri shop. I can stomp any of those dudes into the ground excepting the shop owner who is more than 20 years my junior. I have been smoked by a total of 2 trigeeks in 20 years of cycling - one national and one international class competitors.

John Howard won the Ironman when he was way past his prime.......
Agree here, kind of. Sure they can be running these sub 6 minute mile. But honestly the times the top international athletes are running are nothing special. 28 minute 10k? Bah, nothing by world running standards. You will not be seeing the next Olympics being won in that time. Yet if it was ran in a triathlon they would think it is amazing (and it would be! Just amazing in a triathlon and not a run by itself), although I'd wonder if the course was short (the number of times that has happend is a lot... Take the time a woman ran a faster time than the men's track world record!). Anyway, the point is when you compare these triathletes' time to anything you can do (and most of the other people here) they are very very fast. But when you compare apples to apples, and see how fast an average triathlete goes next to an average cyclist (or runner (or swimmer), as a runner I can totally kick their asses. Pity I come so far down out of the water... ) then they suck. They only thing which can overcome this is more time and/or freak genetics. Which the "average" athlete doesn't have. Now the pro triathletes do have this, but so do the pro cyclists/runners/swimmers. And back they go to sucking when compared to them...