Old 10-19-17, 09:22 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
What's a check valve?

I started out with a Topeak. Either road morph or mountain, I can't remember. The gauge was kind of iffy. Several pumps and it wouldn't move, then it would make a jump. It would get me in the general ball park, but I certainly couldn't fine-tune the pressure. But for a roadside flat recovery, it was fine. Until it wasn't. One day it just stopped pushing air. There was a leak, somewhere I think. Fortunately I was near a gas station and had a presta/schrader adapter. I probably could have ordered the rebuild kit, but I was a little disappointed in the pump's failure. I didn't use it that much, but it was emergency gear, so when it failed to come through in an emergency, I decided to try Lezyne.

It feels way more solid. I got it without the gauge, High Volume version. I've been moving to fatter and fatter tires, so that made sense. It also helps that with wider tires and lower pressure, I can actually gauge the pressure by feel. I can't put a number on it, but I can tell if it's where I need it to be. I've been meaning to get a separate gauge anyway, but generally there doesn't seem to be a need. I've pumped my tires up from flat, got them to a sufficient pressure, and spent a couple of weeks on them using just that pump. With Topeak it usually felt like a stop-gap measure until I could get to a floor pump. But Topeak was almost always on higher pressure tires, too, so not a fair comparison. Still, I have more confidence in the Lezyne. I like the metal foot peg, as opposed to the plastic, Topeak one that always felt like I was one misstep away from breaking it. I like the screw-on attachment to the valve more than the Topeak clip on. I fortunately haven't had the problem with unscrewing the valve core. Also, I don't think I've used the Lezyne for a schrader valve, but I have used the Topeak. The process of switching the pump over is not great. The first couple of times it was like a puzzle, but then I got used to it. But the Lezyne: just unscrew and flip that little chuck at the end. I really like that method.

My current Lezyne HV is less than 2 years old, so it could be subject to the same failure that my Topeak suffered, since I feel like I had that Topeak pump for 5 years or so, at least. But so far the Lezyne feels like it's much better quality, and I find it better to use than the Topeak.

I also had Zefal frame pump for a while. I liked that I could make use of that pump peg on my LHT. It was nice being able to mount it without any extra hardware. Then I had to use it once. It was not as pleasant to use the Topeak or the Lezyne. Looked nice on the bike, though.