DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
Trucks (as in personal) don't really exist in Europe. Perhaps a few in a farm, but it's a rarity to see one in a city. In the last 10 years in Frankfurt, Copenhagen and Stockholm, I saw 2 personal trucks.

Even if that was the case, As I said before, the license plate would get on the CCTV and the owner would be arrested. It should be noted that in the UK, a license plate stays with a vehicle for life, so it's quite hard to evade capture once an incident occurs.
Right, but they have delivery vans and contractor trucks. This is a pretty common way for the higher-end thieves to work - they park the vehicle in front of the bike rack so no one sees them cutting locks; then they can put a bunch of bikes in the vehicle and leave without attracting a lot of attention.

Office and shopping center parking lots usually have some kind of security camera - might be helpful in filling a police report - almost never results in any kind of investigation. Wife's minivan got broken into right in front of the camera - smashed the window, grabbed a backpack, all on camera... the security guy watched it and gave her a report for insurance.

I have no problem amending my statement to say that ring locks IN USA are next to useless. I've only seen a few on bikes, although some new bikes come with the mounts to put them on (not welded).