Old 10-21-17, 05:24 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
High speed right hook - what could we have done differently?

Rode a loop around Seneca Lake in central NY with two other guys yesterday.

As we were coming south on Rt 14 (west side of the lake) we approached this turnoff onto Spur road (link below) and were right hooked by an older lady at about 40-45 mph. We were going about 20-22 at the time, slight downgrade.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6860.../data=!3m1!1e3

I was on the wheel of the lead guy who had to hit his brakes hard. His rear wheel left the ground for a bit and he was within a foot of the car as it flew in front of us, but he managed to stay up. I hit the brakes and was just a bit to his side so was a few feet back. The third guy was a bit off of us playing catchup so was able to just pass by relatively safely.

The lead guy had extended his left arm out to the left just a couple moments before it happened - either to signal to us following that we were staying on 14, or to signal to traffic. I followed suit and extended my arm briefly as well.

This is a 55 mph road and traffic was relatively heavy at about 2 in the afternoon on a Friday.

What are your thoughts on what we could have done differently? I know some will say take the lane, but given the speed and amount of traffic, and a very rideable shoulder otherwise, that would have been difficult.